Discover the top 10 best places to visit in Belgium, from picturesque medieval towns to stunning architecture, rich history, and vibrant culture. Plan your trip today!
Belgium is a small country located in Western Europe, but it is packed with a rich history, vibrant culture, and beautiful landscapes. From medieval cities to picturesque towns, Belgium has something for every traveler. In this article, we will explore the top 10 best places to visit in Belgium. Check Also: Top 7 Best Places to Visit in Germany With Ultimate Guide
Top 10 Best Places to Visit in Belgium 🇧🇪
The capital city of Belgium, Brussels, is a melting pot of cultures and languages. It is known for its stunning architecture, delicious cuisine, and numerous cultural landmarks. The Grand Place is the heart of Brussels and is surrounded by stunning guild halls and the iconic Town Hall. Other notable attractions include the Atomium, Manneken Pis, and the Royal Palace of Brussels.
Located in the northwest of Belgium, Bruges is a picturesque medieval town known for its charming canals, cobblestone streets, and romantic atmosphere. The historic center of Bruges is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is filled with stunning architecture and beautiful gardens. Some must-see attractions in Bruges include the Belfry, the Church of Our Lady, and the Groeningemuseum.
Another beautiful medieval city in Belgium is Ghent. It is located in the Flemish region of Belgium and is known for its beautiful canals, historic buildings, and vibrant nightlife. Some notable attractions in Ghent include the Gravensteen Castle, the St. Bavo Cathedral, and the Ghent Altarpiece.
Located in the Flemish region of Belgium, Antwerp is a bustling city known for its fashion, art, and diamonds. One of the largest ports in Europe is also situated in Antwerp. The historic center of Antwerp is filled with stunning architecture, beautiful churches, and great shopping. Some must-see attractions in Antwerp include the Cathedral of Our Lady, the Rubens House, and the Antwerp Zoo.
Located in the Flemish region of Belgium, Leuven is a charming university town known for its stunning architecture, historic buildings, and vibrant nightlife. The town is home to one of the oldest universities in Europe and is filled with great restaurants, bars, and cafes. Some must-see attractions in Leuven include the Town Hall, the St. Peter’s Church, and the University Library.
Located in the French-speaking region of Belgium, Dinant is a beautiful town situated on the banks of the Meuse River. It is known for its stunning architecture, beautiful landscapes, and rich history. Some must-see attractions in Dinant include the Citadel of Dinant, the Collegiate Church of Notre-Dame, and the Charles de Gaulle Bridge.
Located in the French-speaking region of Belgium, Spa is a beautiful town known for its natural springs and spa resorts. It is also home to the famous Spa-Francorchamps race track, which hosts the Belgian Grand Prix. Some must-see attractions in Spa include the Thermes de Spa, the Casino de Spa, and the Francofolies music festival.
Located in the Flemish region of Belgium 🇧🇪, Ypres is a historic town known for its role in World War I. It is home to several war memorials, museums, and cemeteries, including the Menin Gate Memorial and the Flanders Fields Museum. Ypres is also a great place to explore the Belgian countryside and enjoy some great food and beer.
Located in the French-speaking region of Belgium, Mons is a historic town known for its rich cultural heritage and stunning architecture. It is home to several museums, including the Mons Memorial Museum and the Museum of Fine Arts. Some must-see attractions in Mons include the Belfry, the Sainte-Waudru Collegiate Church
The Ardennes is a beautiful region located in the south of Belgium, known for its stunning natural landscapes and outdoor activities. The region is home to several national parks, including the Hautes Fagnes-Eifel Nature Park, which is great for hiking and cycling. Other notable attractions in the Ardennes include the caves of Han-sur-Lesse, the historic town of Durbuy, and the La Roche-en-Ardenne Castle.
Things to See in Belgium
Belgium is a country rich in history, culture, and natural beauty. There are many things to see and do in Belgium, ranging from visiting historic landmarks and museums to exploring beautiful cities and enjoying delicious cuisine. Here are some of the top things to see in Belgium:
Check Also: Top 10 Most Beautiful Places in France to visit
- The Grand Place in Brussels – This UNESCO World Heritage Site is a beautiful square surrounded by stunning architecture, including the Town Hall and guild halls.
- The Atomium in Brussels – This iconic structure was built for the 1958 World Expo and offers great views of the city.
- The canals of Bruges – This picturesque town is known for its beautiful canals and charming cobblestone streets.
- The Belfry of Bruges – This historic tower offers stunning views of the city and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- The Gravensteen Castle in Ghent – This medieval castle is located in the heart of Ghent and offers great views of the city.
- The St. Bavo Cathedral in Ghent – This stunning cathedral is home to the famous Ghent Altarpiece, one of the most important works of art in the world.
- The Cathedral of Our Lady in Antwerp – This beautiful cathedral is home to several important works of art, including paintings by Peter Paul Rubens.
- The Rubens House in Antwerp – This museum is dedicated to the life and work of the famous Flemish painter, Peter Paul Rubens.
- The Citadel of Dinant – This historic fortress is located on a cliff overlooking the town of Dinant and offers great views of the surrounding landscape.
- The Menin Gate Memorial in Ypres – This war memorial is dedicated to the soldiers who fought and died in World War I.
- The Mons Memorial Museum in Mons – This museum is dedicated to the history of Mons and the surrounding region.
- The Ardennes region – This beautiful region is known for its forests, rivers, and charming towns.
- The Belgian coast – This beautiful coastline is home to several charming towns and beaches.
- Belgian cuisine – Belgium is known for its delicious cuisine, including waffles, chocolate, beer, and fries.
These are just some of the many things to see and do in Belgium. Belgium caters to diverse interests, ranging from history, and culture, to natural beauty, making it an ideal destination for all.
Best Time to Visit Belgium 🇧🇪
The best time to visit Belgium is during the months of April to June or September to October. During these periods, the weather is generally mild, and the crowds are relatively smaller compared to the peak summer season. However, Belgium’s weather can be unpredictable, and it is always advisable to pack for rain and cooler temperatures, regardless of the season. The summer months of July and August are the busiest and the warmest, but also the most crowded. Winter can be cold and dark, but it is also a great time to experience Belgium’s Christmas markets and winter festivities. See more best places to visit in the UK – top UK destinations and tourist attractions